Monday, March 1, 2010

Garden is started


I know it seems early, but we have had unseasonably warm weather! We are in a La Nina pattern, and are running two to four weeks early this year in our weather pattern. Meaning, we are closer to the end of March weather-wise than the beginning of it.

We did have some frost early last week, but other than those two days of frost, it has been a few weeks of frost free days.

I asked at the feed store in Feb if they had potato starts. Nope, not until March. Today I went in, and they had some. So, I got my potato starts (red potato's, a treat). Hoping I can convince hubby to build some potato boxes to see if those produce more potato's. It's a process to convince him.....

In the garden today I got the peas planted, and romaine lettuce. It will be my first year for romaine lettuce. Typically, I go for normal old leaf lettuce, but decided to try romaine for a change of pace. Why not? My peas did poorly last year, not certain if it was the weather conditions or the type of pea that I chose, so I have my fingers crossed that this year will be better!

It is so odd to hear the frogs croaking and to see the trees coming into bloom this early. Sadly, I still feel cold all the time (I have no cause to whine, everyone in the Midwest and east can throw snow at me!), and crave sunshine.

Come on, sunshine!!

1 comment:

  1. hehe...I am throwing a snowball at you!! :) It is so great to see your garden going! Our temps for Feb were so far below average...and our snow fall was way above average! Yuck. I am growing Romaine this year too for the first time - last year didn't have any luck with it. I have seedlings started in the house that are doing amazing. It has me thinking that I may grow lettuces under lights all winter next year. Enjoy that garden!!!! Looking forward to seeing it progress. :)

    ReplyDelete