Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Costco, looking for suggestions

Well, folks. I must be one of the rare hold-outs in America. I don't belong to a warehouse club. I know, I know. It's a shocker.

We don't have a Sam's Club where I live (so it's not an option). As far as I know, all we have around here for a big-box store, is Costco.

All of you Costco lovers out there, who love a good deal, please let me know. Is it worth the fee for the privilege of shopping there? More importantly, what do you shop for? What are the biggest savings??

I have read a few articles on the subject (Consumer Reports, Good Housekeeping), and they say Advil, prescriptions, paper goods, etc are good buys. But they took ONE item and price matched it across a few stores. They showed direct comparisons for only 6 items (which isn't how I shop, what if I don't need Vanity Napkins? Sure, it's a good deal, but I don't use that!). Frustrating.

I am appealing to you, the regular consumer. What things do you find to be the best deals at Costco?

2 comments:

  1. Here is what we have been getting there, we used to get more there but now that we are coupon shopping we only get a few things there.

    Fiber One Bars -- MUCH MUCH cheaper than the grocery stores
    Raw Almonds
    Eggs
    Hamburger and hot dog buns
    dog food
    Vitamin D
    Shampoo
    Birthday cakes (can't beat 19.99 for a decorated 1/2 sheet cake)
    Ice cream (when we buy it)
    cereal ( sometimes)
    spices
    rice
    organic cane sugar
    chocolate chips
    These are the things that I can think of off of the top of my head. There are some good deals there, you just have to know your grocery store prices so you can find them. I admit, some things that we get there I could probably find elsewhere but get them there for convenience ( like frozen hamburger patties).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeast, yeast, and yeast!! If you use it... a pack of two 1 lb. sealed packages for less than you can buy one little jar at the regular store. Only we don't pay for a subscription - we bribe my Mom to pick up a few things there for us. If you can find someone who is a member they may take you with them sometime. You could also compensate them and still come out ahead.
    Also, Kraft Parmesan cheese. If you use that the big container is a steal. BTW, this is based on shopping at Sam's but I would assume Costco is similar.

    ReplyDelete