Monday, December 7, 2009

When we say Concentrated, we mean it


Chemistry in action! This is what happens when something doesn't turn out quite the way you planned it.

I've made my own laundry soap multiple times. The first two times, it came out very watery. I was using goats milk soap, and probably not enough bar soap, but it washed the clothes well enough. The third time, I did a mix of goats milk soap (used up the last of it) and bar soap (generic white soap). Worked great, gelled nicely. Turned out just like it was supposed to.

A friend of mine gave me a bunch of Zote laundry bars, including a container of already grated soap. SWEET! I need two cups of grated bar soap for the recipe, and here is exactly two cups, grating the bar soap is the hardest part of the job, I am home free. Oh so nice.

Until a few hours later when I realize that my laundry soap isn't exactly a liquid and is closer to a solid. Herm. My chemical reaction didn't turn out quite like I planned it.

As you can see, it's stiff enough that I can literally stand a spoon up in it. I am doing laundry with a scoop of jello per load. (It jiggles!)

Makes life interesting, that's for sure. At least I don't have to worry about spilling it down the front of the machine.

2 comments:

  1. Last time I made liquid it was runny too. I love your thick soap! I switched to making dry instead, which was ok, but I prefer the liquid. Do you know anything about home made soap and energy efficient washing machines? I just got a new one and have been buying the special HE soap. But I am thinking since the homemade tends to be less sudsy, it would work just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a front loading machine, and have been using homemade soap for well over a year now. No problems on my end! Hopefully someone else can weigh in on their experience?

    ReplyDelete