Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The tomato's are coming


Here in Oregon, we get a late tomato harvest. My birthday is mid-August, and I typically don't get any tomato's until my birthday. Always later than I want it to be! But this year, we had a shocker of a heat wave in July, and the tomato's have arrived early.

I have been enjoying tomato's several times a day for a week now. Eating the cherry ones that ripen first, popping them in my mouth like candy, or with a little drizzle of dressing. But take a look at that big whopper that I picked this morning! My goodness, that thing is screaming "Mozzarella, tomato, basil salad!". Ohhhh.....yum.

I leave for vacation soon, and my thoughts turn to "what about all the ripe tomato's while I am gone? What about the tomato's!!!!" I am weird, I know. I am thinking, cook up some green tomato chutney, and can it up for winter. I love chutney, but I have never made any. May as well give it a whirl and see how it turns out. At the very least, it will use up some green tomato's. Heaven's knows I over-estimated in planting tomato's this year (I planted 9 plants, and they have literally taken over half of my garden! Spilling out over the fence and into the yard.), and will have tons more in September to can.

So....off to buy spices and apples to go in the chutney. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment