Monday, November 16, 2009

Dreaded bathroom


I hate this job.

Now....remind me why it's MY job to take care of the bathroom? I understand why it was the woman's job to take care of the bathroom when it was the man's job to kill the animals, but my husband has never had to do that. Shoo....I come closer to raw meat than he ever has, and yet, I get stuck with the nasty bathroom job still.

This morning, I scrubbed the bathtub. This picture? This is the picture AFTER I had scrubbed the tub for 10 minutes. So, this would be the tub after it has been cleaned. So frustrating.

In my defense, I do clean it! I scrub the tub about once a week. My husband is a mechanic who works around grease and grime all day long, so he creates quite the nasty ring around the tub. Combine that with a porcelain bathtub that is 60 years old and is so porous that it holds on to all oil. Which the previous renter decided that PAINTING to cover was a good idea (what WERE they thinking?!). I spent the first few years in the house with a bathtub that peeled paint every time I took a bath. That was so nasty.

I have tried various products to help the bathtub situation. Tried Soft scrub (didn't really help). Bleach (almost killed me with the fumes). Plain old dish soap (nope). Baking soda (not all that great either). Seems like the only thing that really works is old fashioned elbow grease---a green scrubby and just whaling on it for a while. This counts as exercise, right?

I heard that if I waxed the tub it would resist oil and dirt and be easier to clean. OH REALLY? So I cleaned it as best I could, and then waxed the heck out of it. Ummm...it didn't work. Not at all for me.

So, other than replacing it, if anyone has any suggestions for a green option that is frugal for cleaning this ancient tub, I could really use the help! PLEASE! That, and a way to get rid of that rust stain. 'Cause, I DO clean that tub. It just doesn't show it.

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers? OMG, they are truly magic, especially when it comes to bathrooms! And the best thing is zero chemicals. And they are fast- just wet and wipe. It also helps with rust stains too...my daughter leaves bobby pins in the tub regularly and they leave rust marks and the eraser works! They work on so many things...really, I can't imagine life without them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried those on this---and it took one entire eraser for the tub. The thought of using one entire eraser every week gave me hives. LOL. But it does work in a pinch. Makes replacing the tub seem more attractive all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the Magic Erasers!!! But they are kind of spendy :(

    ReplyDelete