Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Doughnuts are taking over


It all started as a craving. "Hmmm....doughnuts sound good!" Next thought, "Wonder if I can make it in the bread maker?"

Some back story. A few weeks back, a friend of mine was talking about elephant ears. How big, warm, and yummy it was. Ohhh, I needed one! Then I thought "well, you can make biscuits with Bisquick, and you can make elephant ears with the fridge biscuits, I should be able to make elephant ears with Bisquick". Ummm...lemme tell you, you CAN'T make elephant ears with Bisquick. Just does not work. So much for doing this the easy way.

I check out a bunch of recipes. Looking for bread machine recipes for doughnuts. Find a good one and decide to try it. And now, I share it with you!

Bread Machine Doughnuts
3/4 c milk
1/3 c sugar
2 large eggs
4 T melted butter
1 t salt
3 1/4 c flour
4 t yeast
-Mix ingredients in bread machine in order recommended by manufacturer. Set to dough setting. (When working with yeast, I try to make sure all the liquid ingred are at 110 degrees so the yeast works best)
-When cycle is done, remove dough, punch down and let rest for 10 minutes.
-Coat rolling surface with flour, and roll dough to 1/2 inch thick, then cut into doughnut shapes.
-Place doughnuts onto a lightly greased sheet. Let rise for 1 hour.
-Fry doughnuts in preheated oil at 375 degrees (use a candy thermometer). Fry a few at a time, one minute on each side.
-Once fried, drain cooked doughnuts on paper towels.
-Glaze or dust with sugar.
-Makes 24 doughnuts (-ish)

*Okay, that is the recipe I found. Of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone, I was craving a Boston Cream. Ummm, never do things the easy way, eh? I bought a can of vanilla filling, chocolate frosting. Once fried and cooled slightly, I used a knife to make a slit and pocket for the filling. I happened to have a piping set, and filled it with the pudding. Used that to fill the doughnuts and then covered them with chocolate. Hey, since I got the filled doughnut thing going on, may as well make cherry filled for the kids!

Pretty yummy, if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment