Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Making your own laundry detergent


Time to do laundry, yet again. But I am almost out of laundry soap! Time to make another batch of laundry soap.

I know, it's so very weird to make laundry soap at home, but it is easy and extremely cheap compared to buying laundry soap.





LAUNDRY DETERGENT
Hot Water
1 cup Washing Soda (NOT baking soda)
1/2 cup Borax
1 soap bar

Grate the bar soap and add to a large saucepan with hot water. Stir over medium low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
Fill a 10 gallon pail half full with HOT water. Add the melted soap, Borax and washing soda. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Top the pail with more hot water.
Let set for 24 hour.
Use 1 cup per load, stirring soap before each use.

I read on one recipe to use 2 cups of grated soap. I have skimped on the grated soap the last two times I have made it, and it never gelled. I am hoping that if I increase the amount of soap it will gel this time!

This detergent works well, I just shake it before using each time. If my clothes are really dirty, I add a bit of booster to the wash (like Oxyclean or something). I read that you can add regular hydrogen peroxide to the laundry (which is basically all Oxyclean is, powdered hydrogen peroxide)....but I have never tried it! If that works for you, leave me a comment. If it DOESN'T work, leave a comment so others know to avoid it.

No comments:

Post a Comment