Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Birthday, America!

America, you are another year older. Has it been a good year for you? Do you feel any wiser?

America, I love you. I am a part of this great nation, and I care deeply about what happens in this nation. But, America, you need to straighten up!

The whole thing that happened in the 80's and 90's....the concept that "greed is good"? What were you thinking?! Did you lose your ever love'n mind?! When you put money ahead of ethics, your neighbors, and future generations, well, things are bound to suffer.

Allowing companies to look at only the bottom line, and ignore the concerns of their workers, the environment, and the community---it only takes a few greedy people to push the envelope. And once one company starts to do that, others will follow.

Removing regulations and expecting that the market will regulate itself. How is that working out for all of us right now? I am learning that, as a group, we Americans don't seem capable of regulating ourselves. Personally, I think that individuals are smart, but as a group, we are followers, and we follow whoever has the most forceful personality. Even if that person isn't looking out for our best interests.

America, I am sad about how things are shaping up. But I do have hope and expectations that things will get better! I am putting my contribution and vote in for things to turn around. I haven't given up yet....but I expect more from you in the future.

Straighten up and fly right, or I will come over there and give you a spanking.

No comments:

Post a Comment