Monday, June 15, 2009

Making Firestarters with household items

It's kinda a testament to how I reuse things! I try not to use my dryer. First off, it uses a lot of electricity. Second, the friction of the fabrics causes additional wear and tear on the clothing. That's where the lint in the lint trap comes from, y'all!

BUT...this is a handy trick to use up that lint.

What you need: paper pulp egg cartons, lint from the dryer, and wax (paraffin, or left over candle wax).

*Cut up the egg carton into smaller sections. I cut them into each "egg" size.

*Melt the candle wax on the stove. Use an old can that you were planning to recycle or toss so you don't ruin a pan. Keep an eye on it!

*Place a tuft of lint into each egg holder. You are making a kind of wick with the lint.

*Carefully pour the melted wax over the lint, trying to keep a small section of the lint uncovered (this is what you will light).

*Store in a dry place, and use one or two when starting a fire.

We have a fire pit outside, and I will use two or three in addition to kindling and logs, to start the fire. They will burn for a few minutes (longer than I had thought that they would!) and really do help get a fire going.

This uses up my waste wax from candles, the lint from my dryer, and old egg cartons. Other than time, it's free! Have fun and happy fireside time.

No comments:

Post a Comment