Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Our first egg!



It's a red banner day at my house!

I let the ducks out before daybreak like normal (half-asleep like normal). I latch their pen so they can't pig out on grain all day. Later in the morning, I went back out to their pen to see if there were any eggs....and there was one! Granted, it was completely poo-covered (thank you, whoever you were. You really didn't need to wrap it for me.), but it is our first egg, so I don't mind too much.

I don't know which hen stepped up to the plate and decided to start them off, but I hope it's the beginning of a trend. My friend, who also has runner ducks, told me that the hens are a little competitive and will try to "out-lay" each other. Fingers crossed that mine are the same.

Here is hoping that my days of buying store-bought eggs are nearly over!

Hubby's comment when I called him to tell him we had our first egg? "How soon before we can start selling them?" Probably not in the near future, honey. But, way to be positive!

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for the first duck egg! I just posted about our first eggs this week. We also had a surprise tiny duck egg too that I posted about! There may be something to duck laying competition...yesterday when I collected eggs they were all 5 laid in one nest box! :) I thought that was very convienient but I was curious about why. I bet it is competition!

    ReplyDelete